The Tour was launched in 1997 to provide the opportunity for golfers to play in professionally
organised events at the best courses in the UK and Europe.
The Tour is owned and managed by Golf Marketing and Management Ltd (GMM Ltd) which was founded in 1996 by David Hughes MSc, a former Tournament Director with the PGA and ladies European Tour and an ex professional golfer.
It is now established as the premier golf tour for competitive and passionate golfers throughout Europe. The main strengths of the Tour include the:
- Exceptional quality and variety of the courses on the schedule;
- Ease of entering & paying for events online / via email;
- Professional, efficient and consistent organisation of events;
- Friendly and welcoming spirit of fellow competitors;
- Two Orders of Merit and the opportunity to qualify for the Tour Final;
- CONGU handicap qualifying status;
- Close monitoring of handicaps and exclusion of ‘bandits’.
The Tour was initially known as the FORE Tour and the majority of the events were staged
in the UK at ‘hidden gem’ courses with occasional visits to premier venues such as Royal
Birkdale and Wentworth etc.
In 2008 Volvo became the title sponsor and the Volvo Amateur Tour evolved into a series of events at premier venues throughout the UK and Europe. In 2012 Volvo withdrew its sponsorship to concentrate its budget on sailing at the London Olympics.
In 2012 the Tour was renamed the European Amateur Golf Tour and just like the professional tour we now visit many countries worldwide and we have a wrap around schedule which runs for 12 months from October.
The European Amateur Golf Tour has established itself as the biggest and most successful amateur golf tour in Europe in terms of the number of events and rounds played. The Tour is a premium product and a high quality golfing experience for passionate golfers. The Tour provides access to some of the world’s best courses many of which are not normally open to the public.